
One of the in class group presentations discussed the book “The Art of Political Murder: Who Killed the Bishop?” by Francisco Goldman and liberation theology. I remember noting in class that the complexities involved in the assassination of Bishop Juan Gerardi Conedera in Guatemala, being representative of the social and political climate often found in many of the Latin American countries we have studied in class. In Goldman’s work, I felt that the more one learns about the events that lead up to the assassination of the bishop the less one understands who killed the bishop. Who is on whose side? As I learn about the civil wars in Central America, that question is always in mind. Who stands for what? And the answers are usually not as clear-cut as I would want them to be. Who was in favor of the guerillas or who was in favor of the government? The people the most impacted by the wars between these two factions usually could care less. Bishop Gerardi was assassinated in 1998. Goldman’s book left me with more questions than answers. It seemed to me that we were all responsible for Gerardi’s death.
Liberation Theology and The Dominican Republic:
The dictionary definition of the term liberation theology is the following: A school of theology, especially prevalent in the Roman Catholic Church in Latin America, that finds in the Gospel a call to free people from political, social, and material oppression. As I read the definition, I ask myself, is this not the Church’s mission in poor countries? Apparently, not! It’s too political and Marxist.
I often think about the Dominican Republic, as I would love to see the country change. I think of which institutions are best equipped to bring about change that would make for a more egalitarian society. I immediately thought of the Church. The great majority of Dominicans are Christians, particularly Roman Catholics. I was raised Catholic, I remember the Church playing an essential role in my life. I would see all my aunts, uncles, and cousins every Sunday in Church. My Tia Olga would give us catechism classes. Dominicans trust and respect the Church. It irks me that the Church would discourage movements that actively seek to better the lives of those most negatively impacted by the poor distribution of wealth.
Helpful sites:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/30/books/review/Curiel-t.html
No comments:
Post a Comment